Friday, August 29, 2008

Cables terminated

We are now at a stage where all the room outlet points have been terminated in the distribution panel, and we can start using the outlets. Currently we have some data points and some TV points connected.

Just to refresh your memory, we are installing the distribution cabinet inside an otherwise unused bulkhead in the house.


^ The distribution cabinet with the face panel now in place. You can see the white wire at the bottom left - that's the power supply lead to the panel which needs to be lengthened and then run through one of the punch out holes in the cabinet.


^ Looking up from the bottom towards the top of the panel, you can see I've put in a shelf. The LexCom room outlet wires are neatly bundled together. The extra cream cable is the telephone cable - it just needs to be gathered and tied for neatness.


^ Here's the shelf - it has our ADSL modem/router/Wireless point. The ADSL input comes from the LexCom box, and there are two blue cables out - one goes directly to LexCom data switch in the cabinet, and the other goes direct to one of the room outlets.


^ Here you can see blue cable that goes directly to one of the room outlets. The two grey patch leads are for TV antenna, and the blue patch cable links the data switch to a room outlet.



^ This is the mess you are left with after terminating 24 room outlet cables.....

5 comments:

Mike & Marita said...

Looks very neat. I just can quite picture where the box is. Is the cabinet in BED 4 next to the cupboard or in the BIR?

On Saturday I have the bigpond cable installed. We ran the RG6 from Bed 4 to the external wall near the power box. When the tech came I explained to him where I wanted it and quickly cut a hole through the wall. With raised eyebrows he said - no problem. Since the internal wires has been done it was easy for him.

I have put in a switch and terminated some std cat5e cable just to keep me going. A friend has given me (for a Slab) a cabinet which I may use in the void.

I think you choice of equipement is going to be fantastic.

Gav and Ness said...

Hey guys, how is it all going???
The pics and advanced descriptions are really good....I wish there was this when I started.... You should be charging lexcom for a play by play blog... or atleast get them to give you some freebies for your efforts...

Bernadette and Perry said...

Mike - there's no doubt that your method is a lot less expensive than using the LexCom. In my case, I decided I wanted it, and in the long run it's worth it. Slabs are a top currency. Used them myself from time to time.

Hi Gav & Ness - thanks for the comment. I actually approached Clipsal (the people who own lexCom here) and they basically ignored me....

Matt Poff said...

Sorry - a late starter on this blog so not sure if you're still maintaining it but I have a question. I wired a bunch of Lexcom Cat7 cable into my house when I did some renovations a couple of years ago and am now at the point where I want to hook it up but I can't decide whether to just use the cable to build a standard Cat6 network or use the Lexcom components. The chief thing that puts me off about the Lexcom components is the seeming lack of support for a Gigabit Data Switch module. I don't want to pay a premium for a proprietary hub (not even a switch) which is only 100/10 when the cable is rated to carry 10G. The terminators, patch panels etc are more pricey as well so its a lot of investment for a relatively slow network by current standards (though I assume, if Lexcom released a Gigabit switch module the existing infrastructure would support it).

Any thoughts?

Bernadette and Perry said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the comment and questions. Ultimately it's your call whether you go the Lexcom route, however if you want to use both you can always buy an external 1Gb switch and have it live near the Lexcom control panel. Not quite as neat, however you still get the higher speed, and you can use the other Lexcom devices.

Personally, I still love the system, and you've reminded me that I should do a a blog update sometime soon :-)

Cheers